How to avoid sleep when you are left with a huge syllabus to complete !!!!
Does your bed entice you more and more while you try hard to concentrate?
However, we often forget that sleep is a temporary escape, but hard work is the doorway to endless
possibilities. When one prepares for an exam, as intense as CA exams, the balance between sleep
schedule and study schedule is bound go out of equilibrium. However, one can ensure an effective
way to study by making a few changes and following a few practices.
1. Get adequate sleep
- First things first – generally any average person requires 7-8 hours of sleep. However, everyone’s sleep patterns vary and may need more or less hours.
- It is of utmost importance that we give our mind and body sufficient rest. Once we are relaxed mentally and physically, the capacity to perform effectively increases multi-fold.
- If one feels extremely fatigued, you may also consider taking a short power nap (10-20minutes) to rejuvenate your mind.
2. Enhancement of study location
Ensure that the environment that you study in, motivates you. A boring location will always repel you from studying. Some ways of creating an inducive study environment can be:
- Bright lighting the room and the study area.
- Sticking motivational notes near the study area – such as marks, AIR, deadline and
other such motivational quotes.
- NEVER study on bed. Always study at places that keep your posture erect. It sends
signals to the brain to stay alert.
- For some people, changing the study location may work better – i.e., studying on
terrace, near gardens or other surroundings can enlighten the study mood.
- If possible, you may use certain type of scents like peppermint or citrus, which have
been shown to increase alertness and concentration.
- The space should be comfortable, and distraction-free. A clean and clutter-free space
can boost productivity.
3. Characteristics of a Study schedule –
- Schedule – As some of us sun-chasers, while some of us are nocturnal creatures, one has to decide what suits them better. The tendency to follow a pre-decided schedule is more ascompared to a spontaneous decision. Click here for suitable schedule to refer.
- Breaks – Take short breaks (5-10 minutes) between every 60-minute study sessions torecharge your mind. As sitting for long periods makes you feel drowsy, you must stretch, or walk around to refresh yourself.
- Change – Always ensure that you do not allot a lot of time to the same type of subjects. A well-balanced combination of theory and practical goes a long way. If in general, one is bored with what you are studying, you may study some other subject allotted for the day. A fresh change may enhance the studying concentration.
- Trigger senses – One may take small notes, summarizing concepts, teaching the material to yourself or others, and practice with problem-solving exercises or even discuss the subject with a study partner if possible.
- Visually create mental images or diagrams to help you understand and remember complex concepts better.
- Listening to upbeat music may help to stay awake and focused. Choose music without lyrics to minimize distraction. Chewing gum can also help to stimulate your senses and may keep you more alert.
4. Lifestyle Changes
- Stay Hydrated: Dehydration causes fatigue and lack of focus. Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. You may keep water bottle handy while studying.
- Avoid Heavy Meals: You should focus on having balanced meal to keep your body in the right condition for studying. Prefer nutritious snacks to keep your energy levels steady. Heavy meals cause drowsiness.
- Engage in Physical Activity: Physical activity can improve blood flow to the brain and increase alertness. Incorporate regular exercise into your routine.
- Stay Positive and Motivated: The real battle is within us. It is of extreme importance to maintain a positive attitude toward your studies. Set achievable goals and reward yourself when you accomplish them.
- Eat Light Snacks: It is common that one needs to munch on snacks while studying. It also keeps us more focussed. However, ensure that you don’t binge on junk as this will also cause a lot of drowsiness.
- Splash some water: A quick bath of cold water/ hot water can provide a temporary jolt and help you feel more awake.
- Meditation: Engaging in meditation can help reduce stress and increase focus during studying.
5. Other advices
- You may also take help from caffeine, subject to appropriate limit to drive drowsiness away.
- More you indulge in physical movements while studying, more you end up focussing on the same. You may resort to writing notes, or loud hand movements while studying.
- You may also listen YouTube videos or podcasts pertaining to certain concepts. This will bring not only clarity but a refreshing change of method of studying. Click here for ICAI youtube video classes for concepts.
- In order to sleep deeply, please keep all electronic devices aside, for at least an hour before you sleep. Instead, you may read theory like standards of auditing or any other theory chapter. A subconscious mind will refresh this theory while sleeping helping in better retention. This method worked wonders for me. You may try for yourself.
- Always keep some time aside in the day to do something you love. It could be even something like meeting friends for 30 minutes. But you will always love this part of the day and will look forward to the next day.
Last, but in no way the least, keep yourself first. You are your greatest cheerleader!
Always listen to yourself! Always remind yourself of what you can do!
The route to our destination is difficult,
Don’t be disheartened, keep doing the hard work,
And let that show in the result!!!!!